The article Defining OER-enabled Pedagogy explains teaching and learning practices that are only possible or practical in the context of the 5R permissions that are characteristic of OER. And the 5R activities Wiley (n.d.) describes are- retain (download, duplicate, store), reuse (in a class, study group, in a video), revise (translate the content into another language), remix (incorporate the content), and redistribute (give a copy of the content to a friend). I especially like what Mai (1978) discusses ā€œopen pedagogy is creating an informal classroom where children can learn through their own interests, other than being bored, demeaned, and alienatedā€ (p.231).

Meanwhile, I agree with the idea of renewable assignments versus disposable assignments. we all aware that students write the assignments, instructors provide grade and comments on the assignments and return to the students and then throw the paper in the recycle bin. On the contrary, the idea of renewable assignments support studentā€™s learning and result in open educational resources that might benefit the community of learners. I personally can relate what Wiley concerned about the essays thrown away each year, to be honest, after finishing an essay I donā€™t even know what should I do with those essays, should I keep it or throw it away for good. But, the truth is once we got the grade, it will immediately be thrown away. It feels like once we finish it, we are done. After all that hard work, It would be more effective if the faculty are using OER in the class or point to OER they have shared or created.

Reference:

Wiley, D. & Hilton, J. (2018). Defining OER-enabled Pedagogy. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 19(4).