The articles of topic three had really made me think about how digital redlining and open textbooks affected students.

After reading the article A Guide to Making Open Textbooks with Students I noticed that the author explains open pedagogy is a place where theories about learning, teaching, technology, and social justice enter into a conversation with each other and inform the development of educational practices and structures (Robin, D., Rajiv, J et al., 2017). In my opinion, open education is a tool that provides free and open access to education and knowledge, anyone can get access to the martial anytime they want to. Students can get materials that they need, workers can learn things that can help them on the job, researchers can develop new technology, and teachers can find a new method to help students. But after reading the related article, I found that there are 67% of college students in Florida and 54% of students in British Columbia couldn’t afford to purchase required textbooks (DeRosa & Jhangiani, 2020). This fact had reminded me of some of my friends are working part-time jobs in order to pay for the textbooks, since the students are low-income group and they have to work part-time to pay for the textbooks, it is unbelievable for them to spend $200 on a textbook, and this issue had become an economic challenge that the students are facing right now. Therefore, the use of open education resources not only saving student’s money on textbooks but also impact student’s ability to complete a course successfully and increase the effectiveness of students download and browse the textbooks online.

The article Digital Redlining, Access, and Privacy discuss internet filter, internet block access to information, the example of “revenge porn” and “ E.E.Cummings” shows that because of this filtered redlining, Nina denied her interest-driven of learning about what she wants to know. So, we can see that Nina has been digitally redlined, walled off from information based on the IT policies of her institution (“Digital Redlining, Access, and Privacy | Common Sense Education”, 2020). I also noticed that after Nina researching the topic, the digital redlining occurs because she relies on the school for internet access beyond her phone, and would it be better if she uses her phone to search the information she needs?

Overall, I really enjoyed reading these two articles, and I never thought about digital redlining could appear to a public place, especially in a school library. Now, I have a better understanding of how I might be being redlined and I reckon instructors should inform students about the digital redlining that might occur when they using a public computer.

Reference:

Gilliard, C. & Culik, H (2019). Digital Redlining, Access, and Privacy. Retrieved July 20, 2020, from https://www.commonsense.org/education/articles/digital-redlining-access-and-privacy

Mays, E. (Ed.) (2017). A Guide to Making Open Textbooks With Students. Rebus Community Retrieved July 16, 2020, from https://press.rebus.community/makingopentextbookswithstudents/chapter/open-pedagogy/ [chapter 1]

Baran, E., & AlZoubi, D. (2020). Affordances, challenges, and impact of open pedagogy: Examining students’ voices. Distance Education, 41(2), 230-244. doi:10.1080/01587919.2020.1757409

Open Education Week 2020. (2020). Retrieved 28 July 2020, from https://www.openeducationweek.org/page/what-is-open-education